Nature

Nature

Monday, August 29, 2011

Fingers crossed for a successful semester

First week of school has come and gone. This is my 5th year of college and I still had the first day jitters. I don't think that will ever go away. I like to refer to myself as a Super Senior!

My first day of class was just a single 300 level art studio class that seems to be promising. My professor is really laid back and is talented. I wish he would have given the class a bio of himself. All I know is that he commutes on the Rail Runner from Santa Fe and can throw pottery because he saved a fellow students vase on the wheel because it was a mess. He barely seemed to touch it but the vase was gorgeous after a few minutes. He also explained why the base needs to be thicker, and later can be trimmed so the top won't collapse. I am excited to see the projects and problems we encounter in this class that will force us to push through and practice new techniques.
My second day of class was a bit longer, 11-8 ish consisting of 5 classes back to back. Thinking about it now is agonizing!

I first have a 400 level English poetry class where I knew 2 other students from pervious English classes at UNM. Both are really nice but everyone seems kind of shy the first day. I had a poem due this week and I used the prompt of one of my first memories, which I don't even remember but have heard the story and can elaborate on it a little. I wrote about the first time I learned to swim and seemed like a success but may be a little rough or not polished enough for a 400 level class so I am nervous in that regard.

Next I have a 300 level English-like class. It is actually a Classics/Literature class that has to be fulfilled for an English Major. And I did not want to take Shakespeare again. I skid by in the first Shakespeare class last semester but it was difficult and stressful. I of course did not give it 100%, but when I did it was something I was not into at all. I think this class will be interesting. It is titled Ancient Magic and Religion and must be great because the first day of class there were at least a dozen students standing or sitting around the class without desks because it was over enrolled an they were on the waiting list. Hopefully I will get familiar with the Greeks soon so I know who is who and what powers each god has.

My third class is a tumbling class which i have no idea about. I still an not sure what to expect but it seems fun. Our professor must be in 70s and looks to be in great shape. He also has lots of strange stories and I only heard a tid bit of them. He also called the guy next to me a retard which is not PC but laughed and said he jokes all the time. He may have even said the guy rides the short bus. My only conclusion there is that he does not look all that athletic but still, that is intense for the first day. Rusty, my old man professor also cancelled class on Thursday for no apparent reason. I am sure he is not ready for summer to be over either so Thursday that is when I had my lunch.

My fourth class, at 3pm is with Margaret, my good friend who I have know since I was 7 and will be fun that I get to see her at least twice a week now. We also may get scolded for talking to each other because we are busy bodies. This too is a 400 level English nonfiction class. Nonfiction can be boring and also hard but I need to take it. So far, not sure about my professor. She seems funny but also a bit scary. Updates to come! Homework already and there will be tons of writing so I may post on here some of my nonfiction writings. This also means I may not post on here with all this homework I am anticipating. It will at least get me writing.

My fifth and final class for Tuesday and Thursdays is another 300 level art class- Arita Porcelain. I am so excited about this class even though I know it will be tough and really push me. It is hard because it is the end of the day, after 4 other classes, but this is something that doesn't seem like class. It seems fun and I love having an end product that is usable. They make incredible gifts and people are in awe of the work. And personally, I would much rather have something handmade this is nice than some crap from some store that I don't need.

Anyway, my 9th semester of college is off to a good start and will test my patience and work ethic seeing as I am in 17 hours/ 6 classes. Hope I can still have a social life!

Til next time reader, I will leave you with this quote, inspired by English.

"Be not afraid of greatness."
Shakespeare

L

No comments:

Post a Comment